Thursday, April 08, 2004

Baseball is Ugly and I Hate It


Game Two: Braves 18, Mets 10
Record: 1-1

The Amazin's returned to earth yesterday...or did they? This game was horrific after Trachsel melted down, but I didn't find myself reminded of last year's painful season for several reasons. Our offense is alive and well, scoring seventeen runs in two games against the Braves' best two starters. Our defense, still absent Reyes, wasn't horrible -- that's a big difference, in my mind, as after watching last season's performance I still cringe on routine plays and find a goose egg in the errors column a remarkable feat. We lost wholly on a terrible pitching performance by Trachsel and Roberts, and not just a terrible performance, but an historically terrible one. Eleven runs in one inning doesn't happen very often, and I don't expect this to be a representative start. As it's more the exception than the rule (anything can be at this point, right?) I have no problem chalking this one up to early season jitters or technical difficulties, and like any of Kyle's few dates, ignoring the glaring deficiencies and trying desperately to focus on the positive.

I'm greatly encouraged by Piazza seeing some garbage time action at first, by Phillips and Matsui continuing to get on base, and by Cornelius Floyd ending his stint of ill luck and crushing balls where fielders weren't. Now I put my vast reservoir of faith and prayer behind our dubious fifth starter Scott Erickson as he goes against the inimitable John Thomson. You've got to love the Braves' rotation, at least, when it's composed of guys even we wouldn't touch.


No comments: