Friday, April 16, 2004

Put down the gun and pull up a chair at the perspective table


Record: 4-4 (.500. Again. Dammit)
Two more games not worth talking about. I'm not sure who circulated a memo telling the Sox that a "W" counts twice if it takes you more than 9 innings to get it, but someone needs to inform my poor team that it was just a cruel prank. 3/8 of our games have now gone into extra innings, we've played the equivalent of an extra game. The fact that 2 of those games were losses does NOTHING for my current mood. My dorm hall currently has a crack in the wall that suspiciously resembles the mangled, wretched mass that was once my foot. The Sox win was nice, however to be honest it's kinda of ridiculous that Ortiz had to win it for us in the 11th like that when the team had SO many oppurtunities to score before that.

The second game I'm going to ignore after the fifth inning for my own sanity. I'd LIKE to be able to convince myself that somehow our charter planes got mixed up and we accidently sent the PawSox up against the Baltimore Steamroller, but there's only one inneffective, curly haired Dominican starter named Pedro Martinez out there, and he plays for us. After last night's debacle his stats currently look like this:

1-1, 4.58 ERA, 3 chins

Pedro just looked AWFUL. What was most galling (other than his 88MPH fastball that he hit exactly twice, slurvy breaking ball, and irritating double chin) was that his changeup occasionally was sick. Like your old bike that you still ride, held together mostly by rust, but with the little bit of chrome that catches the sunlight occasionally and you go "Wow, this used to be a really nice bike. And I'm really, really poor". Pedro shows the odd flash of brilliance and it's so hard to not think maybe he's gotten over the hump. At least, it is until he serves up a home run on a pitch that could be mistaken for a throw back to the umpire for a new ball.

There's a few things I really wasn't prepared to deal with after this long. One is currently being behind my worthless cohort's Mets. I'd love to play the injury card here, but the Mets also have a signifigant number of people out with a puzzling assortment of inuries.

I had also hoped that the Sox would have solved their Orioles weakness over the offeason, but that's obviously not the case. Last year, if I recall, we barely squeaked out a .500 record against them. I'd check that, but it's a Friday afternoon and I just got in from making 5 errors in one inning during a whiffleball game and numbers anger me right now.

I'm also not ready to be playing the Yankees. For a in-depth explanation as to why today should rank up there with your wedding, high school graduation, and 21st birthday all rolled into one, please check here. Or here. Or here. If that's not something you'd find interesting, and you'd prefer to hear a mediocre Sox blogger rant about baffling subjects such as cream cheese, power lines, or this latest gem
I did not know there was such a thing as a Red Sox lunchbox. That is totally cool. Be sure to visit Bryan's LunchBoxPad site. It's totally cool. Bryan, if you have a pic of that box, please give a URL of where we can see it online or send me a jpg and I'll toss it up here. Meanwhile, check out this Pelé lunch box from 1975. Man, that's awesome.
then feel free to check out Ed Cosette's confusingly popular Bambino's Curse. It's totally cool!

Anyways, so far this isn't exactly the picture perfect opening to the Sox season. However, it's only 8 games played so far. Maybe in another 6, when we're 1/10 of the way through the season, I'll feel a little bit better jumping to rash conclusions. Till then, I'll be happy with a split series this weekend against the most hated of all baseball teams, the Yankees. Look forward to that post later. Till then, I'm assuming someday Mike will post again.


No comments: