Wednesday, February 25, 2004

The sky is f#$@ing falling


Thank GOD we have ESPN to inform us of such earth shatteringly important news bits such as the Cub's newest desperate measures to sell tickets or that Terry Francona has a stressful job with a lot of expectations.

Checking in with Boston's loveable duo of destruction, Pedro and Nomar have both made their feelings completely clear. Let's check in with Pedro first, because frankly he talks about the Zimmer incident and that's always high comedy

"I don't need to call him, and he doesn't need to call me. I was trying to protect the guy. I was totally aware I didn't want to hurt him. ... But I had to let him go because he tried to hurt me. I don't feel I did anything wrong."

Thanks for clearing that up, Peds. See, I had thought you'd decided to flatten the old man because it was either that or run away from him flapping your hands like a girl.

What'd Pedro have to say about Manny and Nomar getting traded? Let's use the magic of the internet to find out!

"I know there's been a lot of talk regarding Nomar and Manny," Martinez said. "But Manny's in La La Land. I haven't talked to Manny in a month, month and a half. So I don't expect Manny to talk. Manny never talks. He doesn't even know where he's standing. But one thing he does know is how to hit, and how to play the game.

"And Nomar is very professional. He understands the business part of it. I'd be upset as well if I wasn't told that I was going to be in trade talks, because a player like Nomar deserves to know he's at least going to be talked about. But Nomar is not a person who's going to snap because of that."

Glad to see Pedro's not taking ill-conceived shots at management or players before spring training has really started. I was worried for a second there!

Maybe Nomar's being a little more even keeled

(About not finishing his career with the Sox)

"I'd definitely be hurt. I'd definitely be disappointed. ... But basically, I've dealt with that already. As far as I'm concerned, it was a done deal. I was shipped off to another team. So I don't know what the future holds."

"I probably feel how anyone would feel after playing his whole career in one organization and having to find out he was traded, or pretty much gone, over the television," Garciaparra said, bluntly. "How would you feel?"

Oh geez. I've heard nothing but good things regarding Nomar's professionalism. I don't think he's going to throw the season in a Glavine-esque "I SO don't want to be here" fashion, but unless Nomar cools off or management throws a bloated contract offer at him to appease to rabid Sox fan base, I can't possibly see how there's ANY chance he'll be here next year.

Further increasing my already burgeoning love of Curt Schilling, he weighed in Barry Bond's ridiculous claims that home runs are down because the baseballs are "softer". I saw the clip on ESPN, but I honestly don't remember what he said. Something like "bologna". He also once said Bonds is the biggest asshole in all of baseball. I hate Barry Bonds nearly as much I hate hearing Mariano Rivera going "Popcorn! Popcorn! Nice and HOT" and trust me, I hated that commercial. In hindsight, this paragraph was a bad idea.

SOSH, those wacky party animals, recently had a thread wondering there should be a large dropoff in the offense next year. The argument is

Many sports commentators, as well as many of the members of this board, have said that several members of the Red Sox had “career years” last year, and there appears to be serious concern that the 2004 Red Sox can’t approach last year’s record offensive numbers. Mueller, Ortiz, Nixon, Millar, and Varitek have all been mentioned as career year candidates.

Let's get the guys I'm not worried about out of the way.

First Millar

Career Numbers (per 162 games played): .290/.362/.495 21 HR 87 RBI
2003 Numbers: .276/.348/.472 25 HR 86 RBI

We've got an increase in homers, but that's just because he has 100 more at-bats than any other season in his career (plate appearances before a homer is actually up). The rest of his numbers are DOWN, genius Boston writers. He's a good bet for a better season than last year.


How about Trot-Rod!

Career Numbers (per 162 games played): .277/.366/.496 25 HR 90 RBI
2003 Numbers: .306/.396/.578 27 HR 87 RBI

His numbers are slightly up, but his past three years together roughly equal those stats (great 2001, slightly down in 2002, great 2003). He's 29 and cut down on his strikeouts all three of those years. He'll be fine next year.


Okay, now to the guys that worry me a bit more


Jason Varitek? Maybe....

Career Numbers (per 162 blah blah): .265/.338/.444 18 HR 80 RBI
2003 Numbers: .273/.351/.512 25 HR 85 RBI

Okay, those are up, but not stratospherically up. His career numbers are still more than above average for a catcher, he's all set with just those.


How about Mo Vaughn understudy and ridiculously bad dresser David Ortiz

Career Numbers: .271/.353/.491 25 HR 94 RBI
2003 Numbers: .288/.369/.592 31 HR 101 RBI

Fatso got NO playing time until 2003, but extend his previous stats over a whole season and suddenly those numbers look familiar, huh? His slugging% is up, but that's all. He's only 28, doesn't strike out way too much, etc. He's going to be fine. I think.


Bill Mueller?

Nah.


Fantasy baseball 2004 is gearing up as well, and while it has little to do with the Red Sox or Mets, I'm the one with administrator privileges writing this blog, so screw you guys, I'm gonna write about it. I have the second overall pick in the draft, which leaves me in a quandry. Rumor has it Pujols is gonna go first. Now, the common logic is to grab A-Rod first, and if he's still there after the first pick it's a no brainer. However, last year I had Giambi on my team and it was unadulterated agony every single time I saw him play. Have you ever tried cheering for a player like this?

"Hit a home run and dislocate your knee rounding third! Get hit by a pitch and crawl to home plate after Williams hits a homer! And die at the plate! Hit 5 homers in a 10-8 Yankees loss!"

It just doesn't work. Plus, as near as I can tell, every single plate appearance for Giambi resulted in a walk, strikeout, or home run. The man hit no singles or doubles or foul balls pr flyouts or anything. What the hell was up with that?

So now what do I do? Who do you grab next? Soriano? Hate him, and he's not going to steal anywhere near as often hitting 3rd or 4th. Sox player? 2nd overall pick is way too early for any of them. Guerrero? Same stealing problem as Soriano, he's also got back concerns. Any suggestions, folks?

Going back over this post, it's truly amazing how small a fraction the content quality/length ratio of this post is. I'm going to stop now, I'm scared.


No comments: