Saturday, May 22, 2004

All is right in Beantown


Record 25-17

Well it's been a little too long since I last updated about MY team, because my last posts reads as being very angry. I sometimes lose patience with my beloved Sox, in the same way that a cute little puppy that manages to not go to the bathroom inside the house 59.5% of the time (that's the Sox winning percentage, if this analogy is lost on some of you) occasionally not only craps in the house, but somehow manages to do it in a way that scars your soul.

The stuff that was bugging me last time is now fading into distant memory. Lenny Dinardo, a man who I may have lost my temper with and possibly even lashed out at, is now cruising along with a 3.00 ERA. When I think of Dinardo now, instead of thinking "CRUSH! KILL! DESTROY!" immediately, the words "Bill Pulsipher" come to mind. They're similar guys, good lefty junkballing Mets prospects who did what every other good Mets prospect does and became useless and inefficient and ended up on the Red Sox. He'll cruise for awhile but once Nomar and Trot come back I don't think he'll still be with us. If we have to give him back to the Mets because he goes to the minors, that's fine and dandy with me, I'll be waving goodbye to him with my whole hand rather than one finger.

Other stuff: Cesar Crespo has found his playing time diminishing faster than Mike's wallet at a male strip show, and the pitching is starting to stabilize again. The team no longer looks slothful and disinterested on the field, and Damon even made a semi-spectacular catch in today's 11-5 crushing of the Jays. Manny's starting to get his power stroke back, even if he did manage to strike out 4 times again yesterday. And why the hell was Judge Judy in the booth today with Sean and Jerry? Ben Affleck was bad enough, but at least he's knowledgeable. Judy just sat there and talked about her backbreaking workload where she works every other week, and only a few days out of that week. Do I care, Judge Judy? You're old and what's worse, you're one of those horrible old people who've decided that the reason they've been allowed to live this long is to make sure everyone else around them is as miserable as possible. Please, nobody wants to see your wrinkled face during a Sox game. Stick to deciding which Jerry Springer reject you think is more deserving of the 500 dollars owed from back when they were lending each other money because they loved each other.

David Ortiz got signed to a 2 year/12.5 million dollar contract today, with a TEAM option for the third year. That's huge, not too many years at all, and it's totally up to us whether he comes back or not after two. I wouldn't say Poppy took a huge hometown discount to sign with us, seeing as how he can only play in the AL and 28 year old DHs aren't apt to get a lot of long term deals, but he probably could have done better (money-wise, without the Green Monster to pepper with that swing I doubt his numbers would even stay the same) somewhere else.

After the Sox hopefully win and maybe even sweep the series with the Jays, we have a 9 game stretch against Seattle, Anaheim, and Oakland (with a Baltimore make up game thrown in to make sure there will be at least one very angry post here that week). After that grueling series, we can start realistically looking at the return of Trot and Nomar. Maybe.

So as I was perusing some other blogs today I saw something interesting. Aaron Gleeman, he of the 70,000 word long post and "Please pay me to write 70,000 word posts about how much of an internet celebrity I am" paypal buttons on his site, apparently has taken offense to some of the things Metropolitan has had to say about him. Usually I myself leave Aaron alone, as I'm usually too busy making light of Sox blogger and audiophile Ed Cosette to make any observations about our good buddy Aaron and his Pulitzer-caliber writings.

I can see why Aaron might be in a snappy mood lately. Sounds like the poor guy has been under a lot of stress
Now, I am on the internet, reading stuff, more than most would think humanly possible. In fact, I am going to admit right now that I am actually addicted to my computer.

Still, despite my spending approximately 23.5 hours per day surfing the web, IMing and e-mailing (this is barely an exaggeration, as anyone who has me on their buddy list can attest to), I am but one man, whereas you are an entire group of people.
That kind of dedication to doing things like carefully rating every blog linked to on your site by comparing it arbitrarily to a point in time for a Major Leaguer's career must leave precious little time for things like taking out the garbage and cleaning out the litter box, which means his Mom must be yelling at him almost daily inquiring when he's going to move out of the damn basement. That'd make anyone cranky. However he went on to write this
It's really a beautiful thing, because I get the feeling that there are a number of you who are honestly happy and excited to see my name in lights. And it goes beyond "big time" mentions like ESPN.com. It extends to all the hundreds of blogs and minor websites out there. Having you guys around to keep track of those for me is even better, because while I read Jayson Stark, odds are that I am not familiar with the New York Mets blog that gets 20 readers per day and has been bashing me for a week straight.
Using my incredible skills of logic and reasoning, I have decided that he's in fact referring to THIS humble little blog. While I'm honored that he took the space away from ranting for several paragraphs about how popular he is, I think a few things need to get cleared up

  • This isn't a Mets blog, it's a Sox/Mets blog that only Mets fans read

  • We don't get a mere 20 hits a day, it's more like 100, or even 150 on good days when I have enough time to endlessly refresh the page myself in hopes of bringing some meaning to my life by making the little number at the bottom bigger. We're not the Jack Nicholson of Blogs like you, Aaron, but come on, give us our due dude.


  • Although I appreciate your enlightening description of the difference between "you" being only "one man" and "everyone else" being "a group of people" (makes sense!), I'm just asking for you to stick to legitimate criticims of our site. There's plenty.

    (P.S. Sorry for the harsh words, Judge Judy. You're just doing your job, I know that.)



    No comments: