Thursday, May 20, 2004

More Mets Madness


Hiya folks! Don't start jumping for joy just yet, as this is not your loveable effeminate Metropolitan Mike, but Kyle, writing because Mike is apparently too busy screwing on toothpaste tube caps or trying to break the world record for consecutive hours spent jump roping or whatever the hell he does when he's not blogging.

So let's see, a post about the Mets, how hard can this be? Okay, first step...their record, that's right.

Record: 19-22

Whoa, that's weird, the number on the right is bigger than the one on the left! As a Sox fan I'm not used to seeing this odd arrangement of wins and losses, but apparently it doesn't phase Mike or other Mets fans because I see them do it all the time. As bad as that record is, it'd be a lot worse if it wasn't for the renewed energy and hustle the Mets have been playing with, or whatever other pseudo-reasoning Mets fans would like to explain their recent 10-7 run with that's not "luck". To be fair, those ten wins came against teams like Houston, St. Louis, Milwaukee (don't laugh, they're still at .500) and the Diamondbacks. So the Mets are, I'll grudgingly admit, playing decent baseball against some solid opponents. For example, today's 11-4 loss to the Cardinals can be attributed to the man who said this a day or so ago after having not pitched since May 13th.
I just needed a couple of days of rest," he said May 20. "The last time I pitched, I needed 45 pitches to get loose. For me to go out less than 100 percent and possibly cost us a game, I just needed a couple of days. It was one of those cases of avoiding something before it happens. You go as far as you can go and then you say, 'I need a couple of days.'
Yes Mets fans, that's David Weathers talking about having a dead arm. So after having a nice 7 day rest, how'd he fare in his first game? 2/3 of an inning pitched, 5 hits, one walk, 6 runs, and one bleacher reacher. (that's Mike's cute little phrase for a home run, he says it all the time. Use it in your writing, man! Anyone who'd make fun of you for talking like that isn't a true friend.) Only 3 of those runs were earned, thanks to some fine defensive play by Mike Piazza, Kaz Matsui, and Todd Zeille, but that's still not a good appearance regardless. How does Mets Nation feel about David Weathers? Do you guys hate him or what? If he played for the Sox the cops would find his body floating in the Charles River tommorow.

Also, Jae Seo had another pretty shaky start, which is too bad because last summer when I spent my days curled up on the couch in New York watching Mets games and vainly wishing I would just die, I saw a lot of Jae Seo and really liked him. What's wrong with him this year? At least he got his first major league RBI by being made of flesh and bone instead of, say, water vapor, when Jason Marquis hit him with a pitch with the bases loaded.

All right, what else does Mike usually write about... I would have to assume he's pissed about Al Leiter going on the DL with generic creakiness, however they're saying right now it's only a 15 day thing and he'll be back as soon as he's eligible. Leiter's another guy I kind of like, I like how instead of a power pitcher he's always described as "the closest thing to a power pitcher the Mets have"

I'm sure Mike would yell at me or at least cry if I didn't mention that the Mets have been playing some very good defensive baseball occasionally, highlighted by Karim Garcia's incredible leap to take away a home run today. Cliffy Boy Floyd also put in a very nice assist today after running all the way back to the wall to take away a double from Scott Rolen. I'm sure that fine defensive play will translate into at least 2 or 3 games in the "W" column at the end of the year, possibly saving you guys from a 100 loss season.

Oh, that's right, Jim Duquette bashing, Mike's pretty into that. Today while I was watching the game briefly I saw an interview with him in the booth where he had a few things to say regarding the Mets playoff chances
We just feel that if we're still in the hunt in late June or July like we are now, if there's an impact player or two to be had that will help this team, we'll do everything we can to pick them up
I'm not saying being 3.5 games out is a death sentence, Jimmy, especially since no one has really run away with anything yet, but surely you're not saying you'll ditch the rebuilding plan halfway into the season?
I'd say right now we're kind of doing a combination of playing to win now and planning for down the road
What the hell? How do you do both? You either rebuild or you go for it all, dude! If you do both of them half-assed then you'll end up like the, um, what's that team that's been the worst in the NL for the past few years...oh yeah, the Mets! Never mind.

That's all for me, folks, pray that Mike decides to come back to the blogging world sometime soon, or I'll have to keep doing this. And, just to further perpetuate this entry as one of Mike's, here's a very somber image of Mike Piazza looking out into the sunset.



Or checking out the opposing pitcher's ass. Yeah, that's more likely actually.


No comments: