Saturday, May 29, 2004

Walk On, Walk Off


Marlins 3, Mets 2
Record: 23-25, 5.5 games back

Mike Lowell's walk-off blast courtesy Braden Looper capped off a miserable game in which all the agonizing plotlines, lately subsumed by an inspiring run of good health and good play, bubbled to the surface. To wit:

Jae Seo is not a viable option. I've been waiting for him to rediscover the terrific command that made him one last year, but I've given up. I don't know if it's a crack in his nail or his confidence that's caused him to forsake the strike zone, but I was utterly dismayed to see him attempting to add a 300 MPH fastball to his admittedly thin repertoire. The Mets defense, which by the way is awful, helped him out to the tune of four double plays turned, and limited Art Howe's postgame reaction to his line [6.0IP 5H 2ER 5BB 2K] to a soft sigh.

Alright gang, I've got a question for you. Exactly when did Joe McEwing and Mike Cameron switch bodies?

I've been telling myself that it's just my luck to have tuned into the supposedly rare games in which Cameron has played poorly in center. Today he slammed himself into Cliff Floyd as if the other man had wiped snot on his favorite throwback jersey (on a ball that was caught cleanly by Floyd), and later stumbled out of the way of a drive into the gap. After the collision, viewers were treated to numerous shots of Cameron tugging on his shoulder and getting his fingers taped together, while Cornelius was nowhere to be seen. I like what I've heard of Mike, so here's hoping we see his infectious smile and easy manner return with his stroke.

But if it doesn't, and his play in center continues to be hampered by injury (I've got my fingers taped, er, crossed), we're going to have a great time this fall debating the biggest free agent bust of the young Duquette era. I'm willing to let Kaz Matsui's offense slide, on account of his coming to a new country where the baseball is a little better and the team names aren't as embarrassing (Washington Hamfighters, anyone? Pork, get it? Right? Oh, OK.) It's his defense that bothers me. I'm behind the curve on this one (who'd have thought Kaz and I would have something in common!); Eric Simon over at Sabermets had the scoop on Reyes taking back his old position. That'd make me happy, were I convinced Reyes would be taking the field at all this season.

Lastly, Looper's been great for us, but I wish he hadn't given headline writers so much to work with by failing when Benitez was superb the previous night. If it were up to me, I'd bypass the obvious Lowell Knocks Mets for a Loop and try Mets Braden Another Hairy Situation. Thankfully such responsibility weighs on more capable shoulders.


No comments: