Thursday, May 27, 2004

Duke's a Hazard?


MLB.com has a story up on our favorite convalescent slugger, Legion Commander Cornelius Cliff Floyd. It's nice to see the Mets' health woes splitting some virtual ink with the Amazin's recent success, but that isn't what caught my eye.

Here's a quote from the Duke, with much respect to Floyd:

"We did a study this past winter," says Jim Duquette, the Mets' general manager, "and I think we averaged two more runs a game when he was playing."
Thank goodness we hired a sabermetrician to really dip deep into the untapped well of statistical analysis in baseball. I'll bet you Neyer and James combined wouldn't have thought to look at something so obscure.

Don't get me wrong, I love Jim. Some of the things he says make me wonder, though, if my high regard for our current GM has a little too much to do with my complete lack of respect for his shades-wearing, smarmy predecessor.


No comments: