Friday, January 02, 2004

Thoughts from First Night 2004 while standing in a subway station at 12:04 AM


Spent New Year's Eve in Boston. I'd prefer not to go into details over what we did or didn't do, because it's really depressing, but I went with Metropolitan Mike and some other people who don't write for this fine publication and we almost went to Fenway to go see it. Really, we were this close to going to see it, but we ended up sitting on a marble bench for an hour instead.
Even from the outside, Fenway is historical and fun to see. It's old and crumbly and even on the street side, the Green Monster is a joy to behold. It's crazy to think that behind that foot or so of concrete, people like Ted Williams and Carl Yazstremski played on the grass years and years ago.

The thing about being in Boston for New Years that made it kind of/sort of baseball related is while in Faneuil Hall, I heard large crowds of people spontaneously erupt into cheers of "Yankees Suck!". In the middle of January, right after First Night, with NO reason whatsoever to do so, people start chanting it. Hearing those wonderful words put to rest any lingering demons from last year. Now that a bunch of random fans can scream that phrase without feeling self-concious, that means Red Sox Nation is about as "over" last year as is ever going to happen. It'll never totally go away, in 15 years I'll tell my kids about 2003 in the same way my Dad told me about 1986. It was equally agonizing.

God I hate the Yankees.


No comments: